For anyone who has ever poured a cup of juice, the events in this story are hard to understand.

Three residents of an assisted living facility were mistakenly served dishwashing liquid as drinking juice and one has since passed away, KRON4 has learned.

The incident occurred at the Atria Park Senior Living facility in San Mateo. On Saturday morning around 8:30 a.m., three ambulances were called to the facility to treat patients, according to San Mateo Consolidated Fire.

According to Atria Park, three people were transported to the hospital after “mistakenly being served dishwashing liquid as drinking juice,” the facility confirmed in a statement to KRON4.

KRON4 spoke with one family who says their loved one has passed away following the incident. Marcia Cutchin says that her family first heard of the incident involving her mother, Gertrude Elizabeth Murison Maxwell, 93, when an Atria staff member called to report that she had ingested a substance and an ambulance was being called.

Cutchin says that her mother, Maxwell, arrived at the hospital with “severe blistering of her mouth and throat and esophagus.” Cutchin says Atria told her family the substance was an, “alkaline cleaning solution that eats protein,” when they were first informed of the incident.

From her first arrival at the hospital, Maxwell’s family was told there was nothing the medical team could do to treat the blistering.  

Cutchin said she and her family were told that first responders believed the dementia patients had ingested the substance on their own.

Cutchin disputes this and maintains it would be impossible in her mother’s case because she cannot feed herself.

“Many people like my mother, you have to hold a cup to her mouth and tip it into her mouth,” Cutchin said.