What was meant to be a three-day backcountry ski adventure has ended in heartbreak.
A group that reportedly included several mothers on a ski trip is among the victims of a devastating avalanche near Castle Peak in the Tahoe National Forest — now considered one of the deadliest in California history.
Authorities received a 911 call around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday after the avalanche struck the group of 15 skiers — 11 clients and four guides — at the conclusion of their guided trip near Lake Tahoe. The tour was organized by Blackbird Mountain Guides.
Early reports indicated that nine members of the group were missing while six survived. By Wednesday, Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon confirmed that eight of the missing had been found dead. The ninth skier is presumed dead. Seven of the victims were women. Their identities have not yet been released.
According to The San Francisco Chronicle, the deceased reportedly included a group of mothers whose children are connected to a ski team at nearby Sugar Bowl Resort. The moms’ getaway was not affiliated with the resort itself but was described as part of a long-standing family tradition where husbands and wives would take turns going on ski trips.
In a statement, Sugar Bowl Academy confirmed that multiple members of its community and others closely tied to Sugar Bowl, Donner Summit and the backcountry skiing world were among those killed.
“We are an incredibly close and connected community. This tragedy has affected each and every one of us,” said executive director Stephen McMahon. He emphasized the need to surround athletes and families with care, support and space to grieve.
The six survivors — two men and four women ranging in age from 30 to 55 — included one guide and five clients. Two were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. One has since been released, while the other remains hospitalized.
Sheriff Moon said the survivors were able to locate three of the victims before rescue crews arrived. Authorities also received alerts through the iPhone SOS feature, which helped responders pinpoint the group’s location.
The avalanche struck during a period of heightened danger. An avalanche warning had been in effect from early Tuesday morning through Wednesday morning. The National Weather Service had warned of rapidly accumulating snowfall, unstable snow layers and powerful winds creating dangerous conditions across the Sierra Nevada.
Even Blackbird Mountain Guides had acknowledged the incoming storm and avalanche risks before the trip.
In a statement, company founder Zeb Blais called the incident “an enormous tragedy, and the saddest event our team has ever experienced.” He said operations are being temporarily suspended and noted that the guides involved were highly credentialed.
“We ask that people following this tragedy refrain from speculating,” Blais said. “We don’t have all the answers yet, and it may be some time before we do. In the meantime, please keep those impacted in your hearts.”
As rescue and recovery efforts continue, a tight-knit mountain community is left grappling with unimaginable loss — and the sobering reminder of how quickly conditions can turn deadly in the backcountry.
Discover more from True News Media
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

