credit: facebook

A devastating highway crash in Egypt has left 18 people dead and three others injured after a violent collision between two vehicles.

The crash happened around 12:30 p.m. local time on February 19 along the 30 June Axis highway, just south of Port Said province, according to officials cited by the Associated Press.

Authorities say a truck and a pickup truck collided in the middle of the roadway. Photos from the scene show the pickup crushed between two large trucks, with twisted metal and debris scattered across the highway.

The pickup truck was reportedly carrying a group of fishermen on their way to work at fish farms in the coastal city of Port Said. While officials have not publicly released the victims’ names, reports indicate many of them are believed to be from Matareya in Dakahlia province.

Egypt’s Minister of Labor, Hassan Raddad, confirmed the tragedy in a statement on social media, offering condolences to the families of those killed.

Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouly also addressed the crash, calling for swift relief efforts and urgent assistance for both the victims’ families and the injured.

Local officials, including the Governor of Port Said, visited the crash site and nearby hospitals to check on survivors. Authorities say those injured are receiving full medical care.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation.

Fatal road accidents are an ongoing issue in Egypt, where thousands of lives are lost each year. Officials have previously cited poor road conditions, speeding and limited enforcement of traffic laws as major contributing factors.


Discover more from True News Media

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from True News Media

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading