At Thomas R. Proctor High School in Utica, a quiet Saturday afternoon took a terrible turn when a security guard was shot in the back of the head while trying to break up a fight in the last quarter of a high school football game. The incident shocked the community and sparked questions about how safe such gatherings should be.

The horrific act of violence started at approximately 4 p.m. in a parking lot outside the high school when roughly a dozen people got into a fight. The terrifying moment when at least two gunshots were heard, turning the high school football game into a chaotic and terrifying scene, is captured on camera.

Sadly, one of the two security officers who heroically interfered to try to break up the fighting parties was shot in the back of the head. He collapsed to the ground right away, which prompted rapid medical assistance to be given to him.

The wounded security guard was taken to the hospital right away as emergency personnel arrived on the scene, where he is still in serious condition. The entire town is holding its breath in the hopes that he will get better.

Another member of the school’s law enforcement had turned away the violent group from the varsity football game against nearby Binghamton High School prior to the incident. The stadium is outfitted with metal detectors; yet, the watchful security guard felt that something was wrong with this group and would not allow them entry, maybe preventing a more serious incident.

Chief of Police Mark Williams of Utica said that the lone shooter who carried out the attack is still at large. Although a clear reason for the altercation and the shooting that followed has not yet been established, investigators are exploring the possibility that it has something to do with gang activities.

This is the second violent incident at a high school football game in recent memory. A week earlier, at a different high school football game in Louisiana, shooting broke out before halftime, killing one teenager and injuring an adult woman. In relation to the shooting, an 18-year-old suspect was taken into custody; nevertheless, the authorities withheld information regarding the sequence of events that preceded the unfortunate tragedy.

Sadly, there are also violent instances that occur during sporting events. A 16-year-old was shot and killed in Oklahoma last month during a football game when gunfire broke out from the fans. Unsettling video showed players and onlookers running away in terror as violence broke out.

There is an urgent need for more protection and enhanced awareness at public events as communities deal with the shock of these attacks. Attendee safety ought to be the main focus, especially at gatherings where families and kids are expected. The injured security guard’s recuperation and the implementation of measures to stop similar unfortunate events from happening in the future are the current priorities.