credit: AFP

At least nine people are confirmed dead and more than 80 others remain missing after a devastating landslide tore through a village in Indonesia, officials said.

The disaster struck around 2:30 a.m. local time on Saturday, Jan. 24, when heavy rainfall triggered a massive landslide in Pasirlangu Village, Cisarua, in the West Bandung district of West Java province. Indonesia’s National Search and Rescue Agency, BASARNAS, confirmed the incident in a translated Facebook statement.

Ade Dian Permana, head of the Bandung Search and Rescue Office, said an advanced response team was immediately dispatched to the area as reports of buried homes and missing residents began pouring in.

By 2 p.m. local time, authorities confirmed that nine people had died, 81 others were still unaccounted for, and 23 residents had been rescued alive, according to Indonesian outlet Pos Kota.

Aerial drone images released by BASARNAS showed entire sections of Pasirlangu blanketed in mud and debris, with homes swallowed almost entirely by the slide. Local reports indicate that approximately 34 houses were buried, with Pasir Kuning believed to be the hardest-hit area.

“The number of missing persons is high,” SAR spokesperson Abdul Muhari told ABC News. “We will try to optimize our search and rescue efforts today.” Officials said the identities of those killed and missing have not yet been confirmed.

BASARNAS added that victim data is still being verified. “The victims’ status is currently being collected, and we are coordinating with various parties to obtain valid data based on resident reports and conditions on the ground,” the agency said.

Heartbreaking scenes have emerged from the disaster zone, including images of survivors being carried to safety as rescuers comb through unstable terrain in search of signs of life.

The landslide comes amid a wave of severe weather across Indonesia. The country’s National Disaster Management Agency, BNPB, had issued multiple nationwide warnings in recent days about heavy rainfall and flooding.

“In response to the disaster, the BNPB urges the public and local governments to maintain preparedness and vigilance,” the agency said in a statement, adding that it is strengthening coordination with regional governments, ministries, and police to ensure rescue and recovery efforts are carried out effectively.

Rescue teams continue to work against the clock as rain-soaked ground and unstable conditions threaten to slow operations, with hopes fading for dozens of families still awaiting news of their loved ones.


Discover more from True News Media

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from True News Media

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading