A terrifying mass kidnapping has left families in Nigeria desperate for answers after dozens of children were reportedly abducted from schools and homes during a coordinated attack by armed gunmen.

According to reports, more than 40 children vanished Friday morning after attackers stormed multiple schools in Borno State in northeastern Nigeria.

Some of the missing children are believed to be as young as toddlers.

Teachers, parents, and local officials say the kidnappings unfolded across three separate schools in the farming community of Mussa, located near the dangerous Sambisa Forest region.

The schools targeted reportedly included Mussa’s Government Day Secondary School, Mussa Central Primary School, and the State Universal Basic Education Board Secondary School.

Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume, who represents Borno South, confirmed that at least 42 children were abducted during the horrifying raids.

According to a statement cited by local outlet Arise News, the senator said four students were taken from the secondary school, 28 children were kidnapped from the primary school, and another 10 were abducted directly from nearby homes.

Witnesses told Reuters the gunmen stormed the schools around 9 a.m. while classes were underway.

One teacher described the terrifying chaos as children tried desperately to escape into nearby bushes.

“Despite some students escaping to the bushes, I can tell you many were taken away,” the teacher said.

The attackers were reportedly riding motorcycles and heavily armed.

According to the BBC, several witnesses claimed the kidnappers used the abducted children as human shields while fleeing the area.

One devastated father said his 6-year-old daughter was among those taken.

The man, who asked not to be identified out of fear for his safety, reportedly said his wife was left completely inconsolable after learning their daughter had been kidnapped.

So far, no group has officially claimed responsibility for the mass abduction.

However, several reports suggested the attack carried the hallmarks of Boko Haram, the notorious terrorist group responsible for years of deadly violence and mass kidnappings across Nigeria.

Boko Haram has carried out repeated attacks targeting schools as part of its extremist campaign against Western-style education.

The group gained worldwide infamy in 2014 after kidnapping hundreds of schoolgirls from Chibok, also in Borno State.

Mass school kidnappings have continued to plague parts of Nigeria in recent years as armed groups increasingly target vulnerable rural communities.

According to reports, some residents of Mussa have already started fleeing the area following Friday’s attack out of fear more violence could follow.

Authorities have not yet announced whether rescue operations are underway or if contact has been made with the kidnappers.

In a disturbing twist, another armed school kidnapping attempt reportedly happened in southwestern Nigeria on the very same day, though authorities said three gunmen were arrested in that separate incident.


Discover more from True News Media

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Discover more from True News Media

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading